View Single Post
Old 25-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1740 / Power: 12
nono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant future
Re: Batam Info / Interest / Help Thread

Lunch time, inside the vehicle, i took advise from the taxi driver and head over to Kopak Jaya 007, the restaurant near Barelang bridge.

This time, the driver knows the way, so it took us a little mor ethan 30 mins to reach there. Most of us as i have expected were already having a little hunger. I have not much information on this restaurant except a price list of about 2.5 years ago.

(i am just using the price list below as a guide before the meal)

...not my kind food tho,hehehe...but well, they are the one paying anyway, so i just ordered what i like. And here's their menu :

...and they ordered quite a bit of food, mostly in mid size share.

If anyone hasnt already notice, my favourite food was there too, lemon fried chicken on the table,hehehe...and i could easily rate it a 9/10. I dont take the rest of the other sea food tho, other than the vegetable on the table.

Their comment on the food in this restaurant were just so so,rating around 7/10 to 7.5/10 at best. And the auntie and uncle couple who tried Wey Wey before finds wey wey better than this restaurant. But do note that these group of uncles and aunties, except only one uncle is NOT in the Food Industry,the rest were in this food trade for at least 3 decades. Not forgetting one of them was a famous chef,hehehe...hence they were quite hard on their ratings. Luckily it was the driver who claim that its good...NOT me.

For me, only the lemon chicken is good,hehehe... the rest? i cant rate...

Ok, the restaurant's cat came over to ask for some food from us and we gave him/her some...hehehe...

There we are, bill paying time and the bill turns out almost half of Wey Wey restaurant at Harbour Bay. To be fair, Wey Wey's bill was higher costing about 1.6 juta becos it was food meant for 7 person and there was 2 more dishes on the table. This time, we only have 6 person.

i learned one thing in this trip to the restaurant, if we visit this restaurant with a taxi driver, the driver will be given fried rice and drink for free while waiting for their customers. And i also learned that some drivers will collect a small commission, between 100k rupiah to 200k rupiah from the restaurant too. BUT not our driver becos he is from the hotel. How am i so sure about it? Becos the bill says so and our hotel driver has refuse tipping countless times during our trip, citing its hotel rules and regulations. I "tested" this driver no less than thrice and the other drivers in the same hotel (during my parent's trip to Batam too).

My mum who used to work Jakarta during Suharto's era for nearly 2 decades tell me it could be becos most Chinese drivers are "too proud" (aka prideful) to collect tips. They rather ask for higher fee instead. How true is that, i am not sure. Hence i leave it to each of its own to believe (or not) what my mum believes in.

Every end of my past trips using the same driver, i have to literally "force" the tips onto the driver's hand/pocket. I use the word "force" becos i resort to some low level "violence",hehehe...

Next, i swing them over to Windsor Tua Pek Kong to look see look see (and exercise off the food they just ate). I didnt take any photos there since i already go there countless times. 3 of the uncles and aunties has not been to the temple before, 2 of them been there once. So there's a bit of photo taking among themselves for a while before we head back to hotel for our massage.

The massage session is where one of the most hilarious thing happened in this trip,hehehe...for one of the uncle.

Basic Batam Info in One Link

Avoid quoting the whole post if you are replying to me in the thread

信言不美,美言不信。
善者不辩,辩者不善。
知者不博,博者不知。
圣人不积,既以为人己愈有,既以与人己愈多。
天之道,利而不害。
圣人之道,为而不争。

My December 2019 Batam Trip Info