epsilon is a Helpful and Caring Samsterepsilon is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

AC Milan - Manchester United FC
MATCH PREVIEW

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, Milan
Wednesday, 2 May 2007 - 20:45CET
Semi-finals, second leg - Matchday 12

Gattuso takes heart from Kaká class
Despite seeing his side succumb to a 3-2 defeat by Manchester United FC in their UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg, Gennaro Gattuso is convinced AC Milan will reach the final thanks to the "devastating" form of Kaká.

Kaká class
The Brazil forward inspired Milan's short-lived revival at Old Trafford with two goals in 15 minutes that gave the visitors a 2-1 half-time lead - and Gattuso has every faith that Kaká will continue his UEFA Champions League heroics on
Wednesday night. "If he is as devastating as he was in the first leg, we will win," said the Italian international, whose excellent display last week was curtailed when he limped off after 53 minutes with a foot injury.

'Important player'
Gattuso has recovered in time for the rematch, though, and is raring to go. "I feel fine," the 29-year-old said. "I thought it was going to be a lot worse but instead I have managed to recover so I am delighted." Milan's rival manager at San Siro, Sir Alex Ferguson, is another Kaká fan - though he also has a word of praise for Gattuso himself. "The obvious threat was there for everyone to see last week in the shape of Kaká," Sir Alex told uefa.com. "Kaká is the obvious threat. I thought he gave a terrific performance and we have to pay attention to that. We know where their threat's come from. They also have important players like Gattuso. He brings a lot of energy to them, he's a very important player."

'Incredible hand'
The combative former Rangers FC midfielder is demanding similar commitment from the stands at the Giuseppe Meazza, calling for British-style support for the Rossoneri. "I noticed with Liverpool [FC] and Manchester United that
the English never give up and it's thanks to their fans," he said. "It's not a criticism of ours, of course, they always get behind us and sing. However, this time they need to give us an incredible hand. We know it will be tough but that's normal in the Champions League semi-finals. All Rossoneri fans should be proud because it's a miracle we've reached this stage. No one expected it. Considering the way we started the season and what happened, it has been a great result to get here. But we don't want to stop now." Gattuso, for one, will not be stopping. "I know only one way of preparing for this kind of game: I think about running and running until I cannot run any more."

O'Shea calls for United front
Manchester United FC defender John O'Shea said it was time to "step up to the plate" as his side look to clinch a place in the UEFA Champions League final.

Past masters
United lead AC Milan 3-2 going into Wednesday's second leg, and the 26-year-old Irish international aims to make that count at San Siro. There are four UEFA Champions League winners in Sir Alex Ferguson's ranks - Ryan Giggs,
Ole Gunnar Solskjćr and Wes Brown with United in 1999, Edwin van der Sar in AFC Ajax colours four years before - yet O'Shea insists the Red Devils will not be relying on the old guard to take them to Athens.

'A great buzz'
"In the changing room before the match, that's when they'll guide us and help us with their experience," O'Shea said. "But you can't always rely on other people. You have to step up to the plate yourself sometimes. That's how you get your own experience. But we're lucky we have these players in our team because they're going to be vital for us. It's just a great buzz. You can't wait for the game to start. That's why you're at a club like Manchester United - to be playing in games like this, in stadiums like the San Siro."

Outstanding talent
O'Shea's versatility has been a godsend to his manager, who has had to juggle his resources as injuries take their toll. Playing at right-back last week, O'Shea saw at first hand the damage Kaká can do. Despite that two-goal cameo,
the academy product claims the Brazilian will not be given special attention: "He's an outstanding talent. We know we'll have to be on top form to stop him, but if we concentrate too much on Kaká, the other Milan players will take
advantage. You have to get the balance right."

'Confident'
That is something Sir Alex has done throughout the campaign as United chase trophies on three fronts. Late recoveries against Milan then Everton FC on Saturday have put United in strong positions in Europe and the Premiership, and confidence is high as they seek to push home their advantage. "When you're losing 2-1 to a team like Milan, for the game to finish the way it did gives you great belief," said O'Shea. "You saw that as well from the weekend, how we responded to going two goals down. But that's been the case all season and we'll be looking for that to continue. When you're winning, all the little knocks you have seem to disappear and you feel really strong and confident. That's how the team is feeling and we just hope it continues."
Ferguson has faith in fair play Manchester United FC manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes the spirit in which AC Milan and his side play the game
should ensure there is no repeat of the disciplinary heartache Paul Scholes and Roy Keane suffered in the semi-final of the UEFA Champions League eight years ago.

'Tragedy'

Both players missed United's 2-1 victory against FC Bayern München in the 1999 final after collecting yellow cards in the second leg of their last-four triumph against Juventus. With United players Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo and
Gabriel Heinze, as well as Milan veteran Paolo Maldini, all one booking away from a suspension that would rule them out of the Athens showpiece, Sir Alex hopes history will not repeat itself. "I think it's a tragedy to miss a final," he said, as his team aim to build on last week's thrilling 3-2 victory.

'Confidence'
"My biggest confidence is in AC Milan because I don't think they're a team who do anything bad to get players booked because there's no point to it. Neither team benefits because we don't play each other again. It's a semi-final so it
can only help the opponents in the final. From what I've seen in the last two games against AC Milan - the last game, and the two before, two years ago [in the first knockout round] - there was absolutely no evidence of anything wrong.

Maldini praise
"You only have to go back a week and see the manner and spirit in which the game was played in Manchester. I think it was a credit to both sets of players and their professionalism, and I expect the same tomorrow. Paolo Maldini, I
believe, is also on two yellows and I think if Milan were to beat us, I think everybody would want to see Maldini in the final. I would like to, because I'll be in Athens no matter whether it's with United or to see the final, and I think a tournament like that should get the best players. For me, it would be fantastic to see Maldini at 38 years of age playing in a European final."

'Thrilling spectacle'
UEFA President Michel Platini praised both clubs for the manner in which the first leg was played, describing the match as a "thrilling spectacle" and a "positive advertisement for European football". They are comments Carlo
Ancelotti clearly took to heart. "I'm pleased he said that because, at the moment, it is very important to represent Italian football in the best way," said the Milan coach. "We need to follow the example of other countries in order to
improve the situation at home."