View Single Post
Old 20-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 429 / Power: 20
suteerak1099 is a living Saint! - you won't find bettersuteerak1099 is a living Saint! - you won't find bettersuteerak1099 is a living Saint! - you won't find bettersuteerak1099 is a living Saint! - you won't find bettersuteerak1099 is a living Saint! - you won't find better
Re: Thai movies/drama thread

Nang Nak (Thai: นางนาก) - a romantic tragedy and horror film. 1 of my all time fav thai romance tragedies. i can vividly recall how awed i was with the gentleness of the thai language, and the lasting impression embedded in me, of what it really means when they say; "till death us do part"...

Directed by: Nonzee Nimibutr
Produced by: Visute Poolvoralaks
Written by: Wisit Sasanatieng
Starring: Intira Jaroenpura, Winai Kraibutr
Music by: Chartchai Pongprapapan, Pakkawat Vaiyavit
Cinematography: Nattawut Kittikhun
Editing by: Sunij Asavinikul

Synopsis
In rural village in Thailand, Mak (Winai Kraibutr) is sent to fight in a war and leaves his pregnant wife, Nak (Intira Jaroenpura). Mak is injured, and barely survives. He returns home to his doting wife and child, or so he thinks. Mysterious events occur around the village.

A friend visits and sees Mak living together with Nak. The villagers, knowing that Nak died in childbirth several months previously, realize what is happening, that Mak is spellbound by Nak's ghost. People who attempt to tell Mak, or who know too much, are killed by Nak's ghost, who becomes more active in her aggression due to her inability to accept her early death and her frantic desire to stay with her husband.

Toward the end, Mak discovers what is happening, and shocked, flees to the local temple. The villagers attempt several solutions, including burning down the house and in the end summon a ghost banisher to destroy her forehead (this would destroy her soul as well as the ghost).

The country's most respected Buddhist monk (in the film Somdej To) arrives in the final moments, takes charge and in a tearful farewell Nak repents, leaving her husband to live his life. Somdejto has the centre of her forehead cut out and made a girdle brooch. He wore it till his last day. The epilogue states that it later became in possession of His Royal Highness Prince Chumbhorn Ketudomsak. Then, handed down to many others, nondetected. Until now nobody knows where the item is.

Background
The story of Mae Nak Phra Khanong is famous and a favorite among Thai people. There is a shrine dedicated to her at On Nut, Sukhumvit Soi 77 in Bangkok's Suan Luang (formerly Phra Khanong) district.

The tale has been depicted on film numerous times since the silent era, with one of the most famous being Mae Nak Pra Kanong in 1958. Even after this 1999 version, British filmmaker Mark Duffeld directed a remake in 2005 called Ghost of Mae Nak. There also is an opera, Mae Nak, by Thai composer Somtow Sucharitkul.

source for reference

a beauty; a blessing... a pauper; a curse... a beautiful impecunious; not sure if its a blessing or a curse