View Single Post
Old 09-06-2023, 11:10 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 3345 / Power: 9
fastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond reputefastshot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lets talk about retirement

interesting thread again. I have been thinking about this for some time too. I am coming to 50 in a few years and actually hope to be able to retire in your sense of the word, early 50s or 55 [CPF SA contribution % goes down].

Main thing now is because I have kids and want to at least have some idea that I can dong the uni fees if they get there. At the least, for kids doing uni in Singapore, can use CPF OA to pay first, probably need 50k (?) per kid? In my early 50s, they would be only finishing sec sch though.

For other expenses, I would like to renew COE so there goes another big sum of money (currently close to 140k) but that COE can take me till mid-50s. Other than that, not planning to take any other big loans with HDB paid up. Too late to play the property game and not interested in taking loans till 60s, 70. CPF sufficient for FRS now so I guess basic level of living is OK but after 65 which is the draw down age. For money outside of CPF, I hope to be able to get passive income of 5-6k by early 50s, say 51 or 52 (including a retirement annuity that I got conned into buying by DBS/Manulife of about 1.8k). I don't believe that a couple cannot get by with 5-6k monthly excluding CPF (maybe another 2.5k or so for a couple after 65).

As for place for retirement, to be honest, Singapore is probably the best place. It is very safe, compare to other countries where you cannot show wealth, cannot go out late at night, weapons etc. It has great healthcare. Of course, it is very expensive. If possible, I would like to retire in Singapore but have to watch daily expenses. integrated shield plans not getting cheaper as we age, so something to consider to drop once turn 80 maybe. Not particularly interested in taking too many holidays, so I guess kopitiam living is OK with me

all the above only a plan, not fruition, unfrotunately.