Thread: Pattaya
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 428 / Power: 19
ahtecklim is a living Saint! - you won't find betterahtecklim is a living Saint! - you won't find betterahtecklim is a living Saint! - you won't find betterahtecklim is a living Saint! - you won't find betterahtecklim is a living Saint! - you won't find better
Re: Pattaya

There are bus services from Suvarnabhumi airport to Pattaya too. Heard that Pattaya now has a "beach bus" service for tourists plying the main streets.....buy a 1 day pass for unlimited travel

The bus (run by Bell services?) from Suvarnabhumi is very cheap ; about 150B but its scheduled only about 6 times a day and the schedule is 8:00/10:00/12:00/14:00/16:00/18:00/. If you have time , its worth it as its usually half empty.

The Pattaya beach bus idea is a failure. Although theorically a good idea , it was supposed to be free even but the baht bus drivers and mototaxi guys played dirty tactics and soon got rid of the bus shuttle! They parked in their bus bays as well as threatened the drivers as this service was threatening their rice bowls. Last time I went , I didn't even see one on the road. If not mistaken , the bus are still around ; to save face of the politicians who suggested it but its so infrequent that its more convinient to pay 10B for a baht bus.

Jomtien beach is suppose to be the cleaner one. Naklua & Wong Amat over in north Pattaya have beautiful beaches too but some the the best parts are private beaches of the hotels there & off-limits to non hotel guests, alternatively you can take speedboat to the nearby outlying islands beaches.

This was true a few years ago but the local authority has spent a lot of effort (and money!) cleaning pattaya beach ; thus Jomtien was neglected. Last I saw was Pattaya beach is cleaner than Jomtien. Phuket beaches (and least the non-Patong areas like Kata and Karon) will always be nicer so no comparision there.

If you are to spend time at the beach , its a cheap and relaxing way to spend the daytime.

Correct in a speedboat daytrip is ideal to see the island and beaches ; better if you have a few tiraks together!